Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday - the day commemorating Jesus' death on the cross. This is always an emotional day for me. I'm what my boyfriend calls a "cafeteria Catholic." I certainly follow Catholicism but I don't believe all of their teachings 100%. I think that priests are regular people with regular problems who have chosen to devote their lives to teaching God's word. Does that mean that they're better than the rest of us? Not necessarily. I've known a fair amount of amazing people who did not choose a religious life. They may not have become ordained but they were certainly Christ-like.

At mass we spend the Lenten season focusing on how to be better people. I think this is what gets me emotional on Good Friday. I'm not a horrible person, but I want to be a better person - a better friend, daughter, sister, godmother, even stranger. I want to be kinder to those I love and to those I don't. It's hard to be kind when people infuriate and frustrate me.

I often say that everything we do has a consequence. Sometimes those consequences are positive and sometimes they are negative. I need to get it into my head that those actions don't just have consequences for me, but they often have consequences for others as well. That's not as easy to remember and certainly not as easy to act on. I'm going to try.

Here's to a happy Easter. Hope the Easter bunny brings good stuff to everyone.

No comments: