Saturday, March 14, 2009

Riding High

Nearly ten years ago I started riding in a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans called the Krewe of Tucks. I had resisted it for a long time due the expense of it all, but once I was convinced to do it, I was hooked.



It's really hard to explain the experience to someone who has never done it. I enjoy the fact that we roll the Saturday before Mardi Gras, during the day and on the uptown route. Those three things mean that the route is heavily populated from start to finish. What that really means is that for a couple of hours a hell of a lot of people treat you as though you are a rock star. Now, I'm not usually the type of person who likes a lot of attention, but somehow this is different. Maybe it's the mask, maybe it's the fact that I'm part of a larger group, I don't know. I do know that people will tell you almost anything to get the $1 pair of beads.



You would be amazed at how many people love me. I know it must be true because countless of them tell me that all along St. Charles Avenue. They wouldn't lie to me, right? You would also be amazed at how many people are in desperate need of toilet sunglasses, plungers, squirting toilets and special toilet paper. As a matter of fact, one gentleman was also in desperate need of a small stuffed turtle that I was about to toss off of the float. I would hate to deprive someone of their much needed turtle fix.



Truth be told for both the float riders and the spectators, it's a moment in time when nothing else matters. All of the problems that we deal with in our every day lives fade away. I find myself smiling for most of the ride and I love the look on someone's face when eye contact is made and the throw is delivered. Kids are the best. They aren't picky like adults are. They are happy with anything that you throw them and they pick up anything that drops on the ground. It's a good feeling because everything that leaves my hands cost me some amount of money and I'd rather not see it left for the street sweepers.



I wish that everyone could see the good side of Mardi Gras. It doesn't have to be all about boobs and alcohol. Don't get me wrong, plenty of people drink on the floats, but that's not the part of the experience that makes you do it over and over again. As a float rider, you get to put smiles on the faces of countless parade goers and as a spectator, you truly get something for nothing. How often does that happen in our day-to-day lives?



I'm already saving up for next year.

No comments: