Monday, March 23, 2009

40 Things

A couple of weeks ago I decided to use the Lenten season to record things for which I am grateful. I mentioned that it would be 40 things and I was nervous about coming up with that many. It isn't as though I don't have 40 (or more) things to be grateful for, it's just that I take so many things for granted, I wasn't sure that I could come up with them.

Since then I have realized two things. First, I actually have to come up with 46 things that I'm grateful for (I'm not taking Sundays off). Secondly, it amazes me how when I'm looking for it and really paying attention, the things present themselves to me.

Bad news at work shows me that I have the ability to laugh; Rain makes me thankful for my garden; Anger makes me thankful for love.

I know it may sound sappy but it feels right. I hope this is something that I can hold on to. I want to be able to see good things through the bad.

No one knows what tomorrow holds. I just know that it will be another day for me to reflect on the good instead of the bad. Today, I’m thankful for the ability to realize that’s possible.

No comments: