Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm going to paint flames on my DVR

Seriously, I think my DVR should have flames on the side of it.

For a long time, I resisted the TiVo craze and swore that if I wasn't there to see a show, then I just didn't need to see it. My coworkers scoffed at me and told me that one day I would come over to the Dark Side. Well, I'm here, it's pitch black and I love it!

My poor little DVR (I got the one from the cable company, not from TiVo) is probably the hardest working device in my house. I try to save money on the power bill by keeping it a tad cool/cold in the winter and warm in the summer. Usually, I cook enough meals on Sunday to last the entire week, but my DVR would probably record 4 shows at a time if it could.

I almost hate it when I talk to someone and they ask me "Have you seen that new TV show? It's great!" Argh. I try to resist, I really do, but the next day I find myself searching through my listings to set the recorder.

During the winter hiatus of my regular shows I was doing pretty well. There wasn't a whole lot being recorded so I could record repeats of the recommended shows without worrying about missing something else. Now that most of the shows are first runs (my new DVR lingo) I have to go through my recording options to adjust things appropriately. I don't even know what channel or day things come on anymore. I couldn't even begin to tell you. I just know that I have to catch up once a week or risk losing it all. Of course I can always watch it online if I have to. The only problem is that doesn't work for the Quantum Leap or Laverne and Shirley reruns.

I feel like I need to change from full time to part time employment just to keep up with my habit. Maybe I can just run on sleep deprivation until the summer hiatus kicks in.

No comments: