Thursday, August 13, 2009

Health care is a matter of choice

Several months ago I went to a dermatologist to get a once-over for skin cancer. Having spent my whole life on beaches and boats and with my 40th birthday just a few years away, I thought I was probably past due for a check.

I picked a doctor near my office that has a thriving practice. A lot of her expertise is in cosmetic procedures, but I didn't think too much about that. She was convenient and covered by my insurance plan.

The office staff was friendly and pretty. Not too surprising for an office where people go to look less than their age. However, when the doctor walked in, things started to become uncomfortable.

She began my exam by checking my scalp and made a comment about my thinning hair. Interesting that she would call it "thinning hair" and not "thin hair". She had never met me before and despite my tongue and cheek post from a month or so ago, I really hadn't left a pile of hair on the floor while I waited for her. She didn't know about my lifetime of thin ponytails and attempts in high school to change the texture of my hair with a body wave (hoo boy - that was an interesting hair time). She didn't know that on the days when I use conditioner, my hair is a little softer and limper than usual. She didn't ask either.

She continued to check me and didn't find anything of concern. When the exam was over, I asked her about some hair that I had on my chin/neck and if it was possible to get a couple of laser treatments to have it removed. She said yes and then threw me the curve ball I hadn't expected at all. She asked me about my fertility and if I had polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Now if you don't know me I should tell you that I'm a large woman. That's not something that I would deny or am ashamed of. As it turns out, some of the symptoms of the syndrome are weight gain, thinning hair and excess facial hair. I don't mind so much that she was concerned about my general health, but she went on and on about my weight. She doesn't know that I have a healthy blood pressure/blood levels or that I work out 5 times each week. I know a lot of physicians and people believe that simply being overweight is unhealthy. You are entitled to your opinion. However, you should know that it's possible to be overweight and have that be the only thing that is "wrong" with you.

This physician took one look at me and a few other surface issues and put me in a tailspin. You see, I want to have children. I know that I'm getting old for that dream but these aren't things she knew. She didn't know that telling me that would send me into a panic. She wasn't gentle about her cursory diagnosis. She just lobbed it into the air while I sat there in her office half naked. Her words landed squarely on my heart and left a huge dent there. What if it were true? What if I am infertile and all of the dreams I've had about babies are just not possible? I was so shocked that I didn't even say anything to her. I just listened. I left the office and cried.

Since then I've been scared to find out if she might be right. Finally, on my birthday I had several tests performed to check for the existence of POS and all of the results came back negative. My glucose level is fine and the same is true for my free testosterone levels. I might still have problems conceiving, but it may not be for the reasons that were laid out before me. It's not as though I've been trying to have a baby. I'm trying to do this in the right order. I'd like to get married and then get pregnant, but again, I'm fully aware of the passage of time.

So back to having the federal government choose my health care options. Aside from the ignorant and judgmental eyes of some doctors, there are a couple of things that bother me. Do I think that everyone should have access to health care? Absolutely. I think the system needs to be changed, fixed, improved. However, I also think that we need to think long and hard about it and not throw out a solution and expect an answer in a month. If I were forced to go to this doctor or one like her, I would be miserable. She's really not interested in getting to know me or probably even in treating people like me. She wants to make people beautiful (or more beautiful). That's fine, but not for me. I like the doctors I have who sit down with me and have a conversation with me. For example, my gynecologist has me sit in her office after each appointment so that we can have a conversation about what's going on with my health and my life. She knows me and therefore I trust her and her advice and suggestions.

What if I discover that I can't get pregnant the natural way? Will I have passed someone's cut-off time for the age in which women are assisted with pregnancy? Will anyone help me or am I just on my own? Who should make that decision?

I don't know the answer to fixing this mess. I do believe that there are too many questions out there right now to proceed forward with a solution.

Sorry if this is a ramble, but this is something that's been heavy on my mind for a while. It wasn't until my tests came back earlier this week that I felt the need to write it all down. The timing with the health care debate just helped to bring the point home.

As for the town hall meetings where people are protesting? Well, I think that some of these have gotten way out of hand. However, I also think that people have the right to voice their concerns in these open forums. I don't know if the people ranting and raving are planted there or not, but if you want an honest debate with the people, don't pretend to have a forum and expect it to be a pep rally. Not everyone is going to agree.

We have a responsibility to question our government leaders. This is what Lincoln meant when he talked about a "government of the people, by the people, for the people". Hopefully, this will be an issue that concludes with a solution that is best for all of our citizens regardless of income or age.

No comments: