Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hairballs

I've had pets my entire life which means that I've had to deal with pet hair my entire life. For the most part, this means that I have lint rollers in my desk drawer at work, my car, near my front door and in my bathroom. It's just become a necessary part of living with my furry children.

There are also the inevitable kitty hairballs that pop up overnight on that dark path to the bedroom so that you step right in them in complete darkness and then have to hop on one foot the rest of the way so that you can rinse your foot off without spreading it all over the place. That is only the case if you managed to sleep through the sound of your cat hacking up a hairball. I can (sometimes) sleep through it if she's not on the bed. When she's on the bed, the sound of a kitty hacking is the most amazing motivation tool EVER. It's startling how quickly my brain can process the ickiness of having cat puke in the bed. A drill instructor could yell "GET UP NOW!!!!" in my ear and it would not be as effective as kitty hairball sounds. If they made an alarm clock with that sound, no one would ever sleep through it.

Lately, I've been wondering if I've been spending a little too much time around the pets. I think I might be the one who will end up with the next hairball. I'm shedding all over the place. My hair is falling out!!!

Okay, my hair is not really falling out (at least I don't think so) but I sure do find a lot of it on my clothes, in the shower drain, in my car - everywhere!

I've had thin hair all of my life. There were countless occasions when I wanted wavy hair like my sister so Mom would put my hair in curlers in the morning for an evening event. I was ready for my TV interview about the latest weather event with all of those pink, cushiony curlers stuck to my head. Then, without fail, about an hour after the curlers came out, my briefly wavy hair was once again as straight as a pin. Even the beloved AquaNet couldn't keep those curls in place. My hair was certainly flammable, but not curly. As a side note, while I'm typing this, I just had to take a piece of my hair off of the keyboard. Argh.

So maybe I'm becoming a feline. I really hope not, but it might open up a whole new dating world if I start grooming myself in public. That'll get the guys' attention, huh?

No comments: