Thursday, March 5, 2009

Blessed

I read a blog today about a woman who lost her 31 year old husband to Lymphoma 10 days after he was diagnosed. Ten days! Her posts from early February talk about her son and regular mundane events and next thing you know, there's an announcement that her husband has passed away. She has a baby on the way as well and now her children will have to grow up without their Daddy and a very young woman is faced with the task of raising her two children by herself.

This kind of story always puts me on the path of how ungrateful I am for what I have. Too often every day life gets in our way of realizing how blessed we are. We walk through life counting on the fact that there's always tomorrow or next week or next month when, in reality, there may not be. I want to have children but I'm trying to accept that may not be part of the plan for my life. Whew - that's a hard thing to say, but I know I've been blessed in many other ways.

It's the Lenten season and there are a few things I've resolved to do during this time. I think I need to add one more. I think that every day I need to write down one thing in my life that God has blessed me with. I'm a little nervous about this because just sitting here, I'm not sure I can come up with over 40 things, but there must be.

Today, my thoughts and prayers go out to the McKay family.

No comments: